Did you know that for best health, we should be eating 10 servings of fruit and vegetables a day? That may sound daunting, but it’s really not as hard as you might think. A serving is 1/2 a cup of veggies or 1 cup of leafy greens. With all of the amazing seasonal produce available right now, eating fruit and veggies is a cinch. This week I’m going to help you get your veggie on by bringing you ‘A Salad A Day’. Each day, a new salad to inspire your taste buds and nourish your body. Eating vegetables has never been so delicious!
Green beans with lemon, dill, olive oil and feta is one of my favourite flavour combinations, not to mention the nutritional love it delivers. But instead of the green bean side dish that we’re all used to having, I decided to make a meal using this pairing. Creamy white beans add protein, substance, and a rich, butter-like texture, while the croutons offer a crunchy bite. In concert, this salad is the real deal. Beans are just starting to rear their heads in Ontario, so grab them while they’re at their peak.
For more salad ideas, check out my recipe page.
- ¼ of a loaf of day-old bread or 4 slices of your favourite bread, cut or torn into bite-size pieces (we used a whole grain gluten-free loaf)
- 1 tbsp grape seed oil
- 1 small red onion, sliced into half moons
- 1 lb french green beans preferably, or regular green beans if you can’t get them.
- Juice of 1.5 lemons, divided
- 6 tbsp good quality olive oil (1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp)
- 3 cups cooked cannellini beans
- ¼ cup minced fresh dill
- 1/3 -1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese, or to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place cubed bread on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Drizzle with 1 tbsp of grape seed oil and toss to coat.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, shaking half way through. The bread should be slightly browned and toasted. Set aside to cool.
- Place the sliced onions in bowl with the juice of half a lemon and a sprinkle of salt. Toss to coat and set aside to let them ‘pickle’.
- Meanwhile, place the green beans in a steamer and steam for approximately 5 minutes, or until they’re fork tender. Remove immediately from the pot and plunge into ice-cold water to prevent further cooking. Strain well, gently pat dry, and set aside.
- To make the dressing whisk together the olive oil and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper to get the taste you desire. You will likely have extra dressing.
- Place the green and white beans with the onions (taken out of their juice) and croutons. Drizzle with the desired amount of dressing. More is better, in my opinion.
- Toss in the dill and 1/3 of a cup of the feta and stir gently with your hands to combine. Add more feta if you want.
- Taste for salt and pepper before serving.