“Man often becomes what he believes himself to be. If I keep on saying to myself that I cannot do a certain thing, it is possible that I may end by really becoming incapable of doing it. On the contrary, if I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning.”
– Mahatma Gandhi
There’s a lot of newness in this life of mine. The winds of change are blowing through here something fierce. And though change was not something that I was expecting—regularity, routine, and sameness were—it’s something I’m fully embracing.
I had a solid plan. It was clear, the steps decidedly outlined, and perfectly written from A to Z. But then one day someone (maybe me?) questioned the plan and everything began to unravel. Now I stand here, no plan in sight, just a million broken pieces around me. No plan, but hundreds of possibilities. And I don’t think I’ve ever felt happier in my life.
“A thought, even a possibility, can shatter and transform us.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
Now that I’ve opened up to possibility, the possibility is abundant. It seems that under every nook and cranny opportunities are presenting themselves to me. What’s crazy is that I think they’ve always been here. I just couldn’t see them. I had my head down focussing on the plan.
I can’t say much right now, but I wanted to share that new possibilities and opportunities are abound. I’m doing something that I don’t usually do well, except that it’s feeling really easy to do. I’m going with the flow–eyes and heart wide open.
In that spirit, Summer is just around the corner and Summer brings with her opportunities of the greatest kind. So I wanted to make you something that wouldn’t have you spending hours in the kitchen when you want to be out exploring the world. That’s how this Grilled Asparagus with Walnut, Caper, and Red Pepper Salsa came to be. Though any hearty, and somewhat bitter, vegetable would work. If you were thinking broccoli, cauliflower, or rapini, you’re totally on the mark. But since it’s almost the end of asparagus season, you should go to your nearest farmers’ market and get the last of these emerald stems. Grill them up and top with this briny, vibrant salsa. Perhaps even take it to the park for an impromptu outdoor dining experience. That’s what we did in the end. Our eyes and heart wide open for the world to be shared with us.
- One bunch of asparagus
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil (because of its high smoke point)
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp capers, finely chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped, fresh cilantro
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of half a lemon
- Flakey sea salt and fresh, cracked pepper, to taste
- *Optional if you like it lemony: A few gratings of lemon zest
- Turn your grill or grill-pan on to medium and allow it to preheat.
- Meanwhile, trim your asparagus and toss it with the grapeseed oil. When the grill is hot, place the asparagus on and cook for 3-4 minutes. Flip the asparagus (as best as you can) and cook for 3-4 minutes more, or until crisp-tender.
- Remove from the grill and sprinkle with a little flakey sea salt.
- While the asparagus is cooking, make your salsa by mixing together the remaining ingredients, minus the salt. Add in a few grinds of fresh pepper. But don’t yet add salt until you taste it. The capers add a healthy dose of saltiness.
- Top the grilled asparagus with fresh salsa. Enjoy!