Note: This is a sponsored post. I was provided with a SodaStream machine in exchange for writing an honest review. I only review products that I use/enjoy personally and believe will be good for my readers. All opinions are my own.Besides a really good set of knives, a cast iron skillet, a scale, and few other true kitchen essentials, there isn’t really much more that you need. That said, life can feel pretty extravagant when there are products, gadgets, or appliances that can make every day feel a little more special. The SodaStream is most genuinely one of those products for me! I was excited when SodaStream offered to give me a machine to review, but I never really knew how much I’d like it. What you’re about to read may sound like an ad for SodaStream, and it’s not. I swear!! Except that if telling you why I genuinely love this product feels like an ad, then I guess you got me. I really can’t get enough!
The day the SodaStream came into my life was the day that bunches and dinner parties offered a tasty party-trick and winter evenings got a little more fun. Drinking sparkling water on a Tuesday at home seemed to instantly elevate a regular ol’ weeknight experience–which is lovely in its own right–to an “it’s almost the weekend” feel. (It’s the little things for me, people.)
I admit, when the SodaStream first came out, I was a skeptic. I mean who really wants (or needs) soda at the ready like that?! Most of us are trying to eat (and drink) a little healthier in our lives. But that was where I had it wrong. The SodaStream IS in all ways the better and healthier option. Let me explain:
1. You get to drink sparkling water whenever you want it! It literally takes seconds to make fresh sparkling water and you can control the level of fizz you want from a light bubble to a hard, fizzy pop. This is a big selling point for me because I tend to drink a lot more of water as a result since I like it so much better than still water. (I know, I know. It’s a fatal flaw that will never die in me.) Most nights, straight up sparkling water with a hint of lemon (Meyer when they’re in season) will do, but I also I like to kick it up a notch with some fancy lady additions, like this Mandarin and Pom combo. SodaStream makes their own line of syrups and they’ve partnered with some familiar companies to create recognizeable syrups. The theory is that by adding your own syrup, you can control the amount of sugar and other unknowns that go into your drink. The naturopathic student in me doesn’t advocate drinking commercially prepared syrups, so I personally don’t use them, but I’m not above having a fizzy drink every now and then flavoured with seasonal fruit, herbs, and spices. It’s really easy and A LOT of fun to make your own drink inspirations in your home kitchen, hence the mandarin pom fizz. So if you want to flavour your fizz into something a little sweeter on occasion, by all means. But consider some homemade options first. Ahem, this concord grape syrup is a favourite drink addition from last summer. This lemon verbena recipe from the Kitchn is a total win. And lastly, this homemade ginger ale that my friend Beth made is really a match when it comes to pop. But now, a few more reasons why I love this gadget:
2. Your fizzy drink is not being carried or stored in aluminum cans or BPA-laden bottles. Toxic-city! Not to mention all of the landfills and recycling plants that you WONT’T be filling up!
4. It saves money. Plain and simple. If you buy cans of soda water like I did (we just couldn’t get through the bottles quickly enough before they got flat), it’s not only wasteful, but it adds up. The CO2 cylinder comes with your purchase and you can trade it in like a propane BBQ tank for about $20. One cylinder makes about 60 1-Litre bottles.
5. The majority of machines don’t require batteries or electricity. They’re self-sufficient meaning you can transport them to games night, a pool party, or your living room if you really want to.
6. You don’t have to lug heavy bottles and cans home just to have to store them in your already cramped apartment.
So if you’re someone who enjoys a carbonated bevy, it’s definitely worth giving this a look. And if you’re one of those people who buys colour-themed holiday gifts, check out this beautiful red one for Valentine’d Day next week.
- 4 oz mandarin juice (clementines, tangerines, or oranges will also do)
- 4 oz pomegranate juice
- 1 sprig of rosemary broken in half, plus 2 more for garnishing, optional
- 2 tbsp pom seeds
- About 2 cups sparkling/soda water
- Put the broken piece of rosemary into a [url href=”http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B001CDK0NQ?ie=UTF8&camp=15121&creativeASIN=B001CDK0NQ&linkCode=xm2&tag=80twenty-20″ target=”_blank”]cocktail shaker[/url] or tall sturdy glass. Muddle the rosemary (mash it gently to release the oils/juices) with [url href=”http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0044BBO8S?ie=UTF8&camp=15121&creativeASIN=B0044BBO8S&linkCode=xm2&tag=80twenty-20″ target=”_blank”]a muddler[/url] (or thick end of a wooden spoon if you don’t have one). Pour in the juices and shake to incorporate.
- Fill two glasses with ice and pour the strained juice mixture over top. Top with soda water and gently stir to combine.
- Top with a tablespoon each of pomegranate seeds and a sprig of rosemary.