Earlier this morning, I pulled out this green smoothie and a classmate of mine made a sarcastic remark about how (un)ppealing it looked. I happily sipped away delighting in my drink, not really bothered by his comment. But I was left wondering, is it the colour green that puts people off?
I recall hearing about some research in an earlier imunology class about how we’re biologically wired as to avoid foods that may be rancid, poisonous, or otherwise harmful. And as small babes, one way that we interpret danger is through visual cues. The colour green to babies (and apparently to some grown-ups as well) is kind of like poison, which makes sense when you think about how we have a such difficult time adjusting to eating vegetables. Whether it’s true or not, green drinks seem to steer many people in the opposite direction. And man, It’s hard to convert the unconverted.
As someone who loves a green drink–smoothie, juice, whatever, I also happen to understand that people may simply be over the all hype. The green juice has obnoxiously held the spotlight for awhile with celebrity backers, cleanse companies, and LA girls who do yoga. But it got there by its own merit. Nutritional benefits aside, green juices can be dang delicious! Don’t get me wrong. I know that the green juice can be bad, and I mean reeaal bad. But a good green juice, is refreshing, tangy, slightly sweet, and full of life! Literally. This particular version is one of my new go-to juices. The vibrant colour is inspiring to drink and I feel like I’m getting a generous dose of antioxidants straight to my cells. Give it a try. Maybe together we can convert the unconverted.
- 5 stalks of Lacinato kale (aka black or dinosaur kale)
- 2 stalks of celery
- 1 nub of ginger
- ½ lemon, outer zest peeled off
- 1 lime, outer zest peeled off
- A generous handful or two of fresh or frozen (but unsweetened) pineapple – enough to sweeten it to your liking
- I also occasionally add orange to this drink
- Wash the vegetables and fruit well and trim any bruised or damaged areas.
- Juice all of the ingredients in your juicer according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- If you don’t have a juicer, check this out.