Feeding Kiddos part 2: Broccoli Cheddar Spelt Pancakes
These fluffy, savoury pancakes are made with Greek yogurt and eggs for an added kick of protein. If you are dairy-free and/or egg-free, you can sub-in your favourite alternatives.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 12 pancakes
- Category: Snacks; Finger Foods
- Method: Easy
- Cuisine: North American
- 1 1/2 cups spelt flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Salt, to taste, about 1/2 tsp (my addition) *See notes
- 2 eggs (or egg substitute, if your kiddo has allergies)
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp virgin coconut oil, butter, or ghee, melted, plus extra for frying (I used olive oil)
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup very finely chopped broccoli florets
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and baking powder, and salt (if using).
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, yogurt, milk, and the tablespoon of oil.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir together until just mixed. Allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Add the cheese and broccoli and stir to combine. The batter will be a bit thicker than typical pancake batter.
- Warm a skillet or griddle over medium heat, and melt a small amount of oil in the pan. I find that medium-high heat will burn these pancakes because of the cheese, so it is better to go for a lower heat and cook a little longer on each side than would be typical with regular pancakes.
- Once the pan is hot, pour out 1/4-cup portions of the batter into the pan. Cook for 4 minutes on the first side, then flip over and cook for 3 minutes on the second side. You will know it’s time to flip when bubbles start to break through the surface on the first side.
- Serve cut into quarters, strips, or bite-size pieces. No sauce or dip required! Freeze these in an airtight container, with parchment between layers, for up to 3 months. Reheat in the toaster, or at 350°F in the oven for 5–10 minutes.
*The recipe doesn’t call for salt, but I find that the pancakes benefit from it. When I’m making these for our whole family, I add salt into the batter. When they’re just for Basia, I leave it out or add just a little.
Keywords: Spelt, pancakes, broccoli, cheddar, savoury, savory, finger foods,