Meet Kris

This is 80twenty's Kris in action.

Welcome to 80twenty.

I’m delighted to share my passion with you for delicious, healthy, approachable, mostly local, and seasonal food. In doing so, I hope that you will find pleasure, joy, and a love of eating well in what is created here. I also hope that this space inspires you to get into your kitchen and cook a little more. The kitchen is a magical place where you get to be creative and learn. Don’t be afraid to experiment!

My food journey began (almost) at birth when I was born into a family-owned restaurant. There I learned to cook at a very young age; and it would not be a stretch to say that I spent most of my youth running in and out of the restaurant kitchen, chatting with guests, and tasting the wares. I continued on this path spending much of my young adult life working in the restaurant industry. When I graduated from university, I decided that it was time for a change and began a 10-year career in higher education and human rights. But the world of food was always close by. During this time I continued to cultivate my love of food through travel, culinary classes, devouring many a cookbook, and experimenting in the kitchen every chance I got.

Since leaving my “old” career a few years ago, I have more formally reignited my passion for food and wellness by returning to school where I studied naturopathic medicine and also attended culinary school–a magical combination in my view! The connection between what we eat, where it comes from, and how we feel is profound, and I believe that one key to a vibrant life is through food. While not everything on this blog is local (I admit that I can be a sucker for a roasted tomato and the brightness of basil pesto in the dead of winter), most of what I try to create here serves to highlight the bounty of the season. Health is certainly the focus over here, but I love to eat and, as such, never compromise on flavour. I am fueled by time spent in the kitchen, connecting with friends over good food and wine, and checking out farmers’ markets, restaurants, bakeries, and coffee shops locally or wherever I have the privilege of travelling.

As well as great food, this blog provides a glimpse into my life as I attempt to figure out my purpose, share my constantly evolving learnings, and endeavour to find balance in it all. You will find that most of the recipes on this blog are vegetarian. It’s true, I love vegetables. But my approach to food and eating healthfully means that I welcome all real, whole foods. The 80twenty view of food focuses on eating foods that nourish us most of the time (the 80%) and eating whatever we want the rest of the time (the 20%). It’s a simple principle that aims to keep our bodies, minds, and spirits in harmony.

I am truly honoured that you stopped by. If you have any questions, comments, or feedback, I’d love to hear from you.  It is my absolute pleasure to be here. My email is: kris (at) 80twenty (dot) ca

If you want to connect less formally, you can also find me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, and Instagram.